LSA – Staatliches Schulamt für den Landkreis und die Stadt Kassel (SSA KS) is one of the largest out of fifteen public educational authorities in the state of Hesse.
It is responsible for educational and administrative matters of 149 schools of general and vocational education both of state and private sector. The SSA KS is responsible for approximately 4.500 teachers and 60.000 students, age 6-20, and therefore for about 9 % of all students, teachers and schools of the state of Hesse.
The SSA KS is not only responsible for the supervision and support of its schools but also for a number of other issues e.g. international programs and contacts, cooperation with non-educational organizations, in-service training, establishing new teaching methodology and supervision of the curricula
The Public Education Authority for the district and city of Kassel is the chief supervisory education authority for Kassel, Germany, and the surrounding administrative area.
The schools for general education offer many different options: foreign languages and bilingual classes, all-day schooling, guidance counselling, programmes for gifted students, environmental education etc. All of these schools have individual profiles with different areas of specialisation.
Vocational schools (“Berufsschulen”) are attended by students as part of the German dual education system combining classes with training by the employer. These specialised secondary schools and technical colleges offer a wide variety of courses emphasising different areas.
Kassel city council runs
- 25 primary schools
- 1 Mittelstufenschule (secondary school)
- 1 Realschule (secondary school offering ‘mittlere Reife’, an intermediate school certificate)
- 4 kooperative Gesamtschulen (comprehensive schools where students are grouped according to their general level of achievement)
- 4 integrierte Gesamtschulen (comprehensive schools where students are grouped on a per-subject basis)
- 4 Gymnasien (grammar schools)
- 1 Oberstufengymnasium (state sixth-form college / senior high school)
- 7 Förderschulen (schools for special needs education)
- 7 Berufsschulen (vocational schools)
The district of Kassel runs
- 52 primary schools
- 7 Kooperative Gesamtschulen (comprehensive schools where students are grouped according to their general level of achievement)
- 6 Integrierte Gesamtschulen (comprehensive schools where students are grouped on a per-subject basis)
- 1 Kooperative Gesamtschule mit Gymnasialer Oberstufe (comprehensive school where students are grouped according to their general level of achievement with an attached sixth-form college / senior high school)
- 1 Gymnasium (grammar school / high school)
- 2 Oberstufengymnasien (sixth-form colleges / senior high schools)
- 3 Förderschulen (schools for special needs education)
- 2 Berufsschulen (vocational schools)
In addition to these state-run schools there are 16 private schools in the Kassel region.
The role of the organisation in the project
Apart from the formal role of writing and signing the contract it is responsible for the monitoring of the project as well as for the dissemination of its results and for the cooperation with other institutions in Hesse which will not be officially partners in the project but nevertheless will contribute especially to the dissemination and publicity of the work.